Winter Fishing for Bass: how to fish in cold weather
Winter Fishing Overview
Winter fishing for bass need not be as hardcore as it sounds. While it’s true that bass will slow down as the water cools, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the party is over.
Bass function just fine in water 38 degrees to 90. Don’t be put off by cooling weather.
We’ll provide you with everything you need to know in order to make a successful winter bass fishing trip. That said, even if you get skunked, many times just having a patch of water to yourself can be totally worth it.
Is it worth it?
First, let’s set some expectations. You shouldn’t expect to crush it the same way you would in the warmer months.
However, you’ll have less competition for fish. To answer the question bluntly — yes, it’s worth it. Of course, winter fishing for bass is worth it only if you’re properly prepared.
Obviously, as the weather cools, fall into winter becomes more unpredictable. You’ll need cold weather layers and waterproof gloves at a minimum.
We’ll get more specific into gear recommendations later in this article.
Biology & Feeding Habits of Winter Bass
Bass are cold blooded animals — meaning their biochemistry is going to change drastically in the winter. As food supplies deteriorate, bass have adapted to live off their own bodies.
Dissolved oxygen will also diminish which means the nervous system of bass will also suffer. This will impact your baits and how you work them within the water column.
As an aside, a lack of food may improve their overall longevity and health as they are forced into a scarcity mode that slows their metabolism. Like all animals, bass have adapted to the cycle of their food supply.
This is also important when considering how to bait and catch wintering bass. You’ll never want to present something that wouldn’t be present within a cooling environment.
This means you should be paying attention to the local weather as well as local ecology. It’s no accident that the best fishermen tend to be the best ecologists and conservationists.
But, like any other animal bass will take an opportunity at a meal if properly presented in the right context.
Also, while it’s true that bass slow down in winter, they still need to strike fast in order to catch their food. This means while you may want to slow the presentation, a jerk bait will still work on a wintering bass.
Where to find bass
Just so it’s clear, we’re not talking about ICE FISHING for bass in winter! Once the water starts to drop below 50 degrees, bass will become more lethargic and begin to swim deeper and start to conserve energy.
In very general terms, this is where you’ll need to focus your effort.
Bass in winter tend to first find warmer water until there there is none to find. Then they will find pockets if possible then ultimately dive into deeper water.
Even a slight difference of 1 degree in the water can impact where bass will aggregate in the water column. This means that if you’re serious about catching bass in the winter, you’ll need a surface water temperature monitor.
A monitor is essential not only in winter bass fishing but for all seasons if you’re targeting cold water species.
Winter: 48 degrees and below
In reservoirs and natural lakes, most of the bass population will be on the main body of water, as opposed to tributary arms. They will be relating strongly to vertical and fast sloping structure: rock bluffs, river channel dropoffs, standing timber, 45-degree rock or earthen banks, or standing timber. These are all places where they can make a major depth change by moving up or down.
In cold water, bass are lethargic, and won’t swim long distances to change depths. In clear lakes, bass often suspend in the water column rather than hold tight to cover.
Water clarity is a major determinant of bass depth in winter. In clear lakes, bass can go extremely deep — 50 to 60 feet is not uncommon. In murky lakes, they’ll be much shallower.Kevin VanDam from https://www.bassmaster.com/vandams-6-season-bass-guide
Strategies: how to catch bass in winter
Since bass are sluggish, use a slow presentation. In any season, use search lures to find active bass. In winter, I prefer ones that draw strikes without moving fast.
Suspending jerkbaits are a favorite winter artificial, if the water clarity is sufficient to use them (these lures don’t work as well in very stained water). The fact that you can fish these lures in the same place for long periods of time makes them extremely deadly on suspending bass. Leadhead grubs also work great now; they probe vertical and fast sloping structure efficiently. The same goes for jigs, metal blade baits and spoons. I may fish a crankbait in the upper end of the winter temperature spectrum.Kevin VanDam from https://www.bassmaster.com/vandams-6-season-bass-guide
- 🐟 JERK BAITS FOR BASS FISHING AND SPECKLED TROUT - If you're big trout fishin', looking to land those trophy bass, or big, beautiful redfish, the Matrix MINNOW will help you land those tanks. Cast right on the edge of the grass and work those marshy banks.
- 🎣 SUSPENDING JERKBAIT - Cast these with the wind at your back to chunk the Minnow out far, keep the rod tip down, and TWITCH, TWITCH, PAUSE! Reel it back in at 2-5 feet depth of water, but we've caught consistently even at depths of 10 feet. The Matrix Minnow is a slow sinker, so don't pause too long, as it's not a complete suspension bait. You control how deep it goes, so the longer the pause between twitches, the deeper your lure will go.
- 🐟 EXTRA SHARP BLACK NICKEL TREBLE HOOKS - These trebles are sharp and great at snagging those beautiful speckled trout. Make sure to bring your pliers along for this trout lure when retrieving your lure.
- 🎣 BIG TROUTS ON THE LOOKOUTS - A great fishing bait in fall, winter, and anytime of the year when you're working to reel in those giant trout. These are great lures for lake fishing, and anywhere you can work it off a grass line.
- 🐟 BASS BAITS AND LURES - We've caught trophy size bass with the Matrix Minnow. Get those strong reaction strikes from your target fish with these finesse twitch baits.
- CODAICEN FISHING TACKLE suspended minnow jerk bait. Ideal for Bass fishing and other predatory fish. 4.3 inches long 1/2 ounce with steel balls inside for easy casting distance. Rattling model design, making these crank baits the optimal and perfect addition to excite Bass, Northern Pike, Trout, Walleye
- CODAICEN FISHING JERK BAITS have brilliant life-like color and very realistic looking suspended crankbait. Bait fish swimming action to attract predatory fish which can be used in both freshwater and saltwater.
- THE CODAICEN FISHING tackle Lure minnow crankbait targets all predator fish like bass, pike, yellow perch, walleye, ,muskie, trout, even catfish hit these jerk baits. Cast out twitch, twitch pause, twitch twitch pause and they slam topwater minnow bait.
- These lures have great action and appearance with life-like 3D eyes and colors. With premium strong high carbon cut-point treble hooks. Steel balls inside make a great rattling noise and vibration to attract predator fish and help with casting distance.
- CODAICEN TACKLE STANDS behind all their fishing lures, baits, . Our wacky rig tool, and fishing pliers. Let us know if you have any issues and we will take care if them immediately. Perfect gifts for all your anglers, father, son, husband, wife Birthday, Anniversary, Thanksgiving, Christmas Etc. Make sure you check out our other CODAICEN fishing tools and fishing lures.
Clothing for winter fishing
In a word: LAYERS.
If you’re fishing from a boat, hopefully it goes without saying, but you’ll need to start with a proper lifejacket. After 21 years in the Coast Guard, however, I know firsthand that this isn’t obvious to everyone!
Okay, off my safety soapbox….
Source: Fix.com Blog
Here are some great winter bass fishing options:
- Please order one size up for a more comfortable fit.
- Excellent mobility and moisture wicking. Heatfit design
- Four-way stretch for unrestricted movement.
- 2 pcs Fleece Lined Set (Top & Bottom).
- 92% Ultra Soft Microfiber, 8% Spandex.
- Flip back thumb and index finger caps free your fingers to manipulate your fishing rod, phone, camera, touch-screen devices, pistol or RC drones without compromising performance, protection, and dexterity
- Stretch neoprene breathable and windproof fabric back of the glove secures tight fit for best sensibility in any action and keeps your hands dry in light rain, they are good for cool days but NOT great for really cold days; Artificial leather reinforced palm for a better grip and durability
- Adjustable wrist velcro strap for any size wrist and fix your wrists will not fall off. Snug fit elastic cuffs keeps the gloves tight to your hands and keeps cold wind out. Please measure around your palm before selecting a size by using the sizing chart in the product image. If you are in-between sizes, please select the larger size for a more comfortable fit. If you prefer a loose fitting glove, the next size up maybe better
- 2 cut fingers design means you retain manoeuvrability and dexterity so these gloves are suitable for fishermen, anglers, hunters, photographers, bicycler, hikers, runners, shooters, outdoor athletes
- It's good enough for mild weather but Not for freezing winter or extremely cold weather. Tip: Machine and hand washable but Do Not bleach, iron or use fabric softner
Bass Fishing Gear
Here’s where it can get gnarly.
Honestly, many of the same bass rod/reel combos, baits and lures that you’d use for bass will apply in winter season as well.
You’ll likely have to get better at targeting and may have to go deep as the water chills. I wouldn’t overthink it, and go ahead and stick some techniques that you may already be used to.
Like I said, don’t overthink it. Just get out there and see what works. Here are some suggestions:
Jigging Spoon. This should work well for vertically fishing in the water column.
- This Jigging Metal Spoons includes 5 Different Colors of Metal Lures,5PCS Lure in One Plastic Box.
- Metal Lures with Good-Looking and Attractive Color, The 3D eye Looks Totally Real and Hooks are Chemically Sharpened, Twin Assist,Heavy-duty Mustad,Connected Via Heavy Duty Dacron and Rings, Strong enough to Handle the Powerful Runs, Teeth and Slamming Head Action of Pelagic Species.
- The Jigging Lures Give You the Flexibility to Fishing Anywhere in the Water Column. It is this Utility, with the Lures Build Quality that make the Micro Jig Lures and Essential Addition to Your Jigging Tackle Arsenal.
- Suitable for Light Jigging for Fishing such as Small Tuna, Kingfish,Snapper, Amberjack, Cobia, Coral Trout and a Massive Array of Other Saltwater Fish Species.
- Build Quality is Outstanding. Your Sougayilang Jigs Fishing Lures will Handle The Punishment of Many Hard Battles.Retrieve Techniques are Limited Only By Your Imagination.
Blade Bait. This is a metal lure that vibrates and creates a flash which may attract bass while fishing both vertically and horizontally.
Drop Shot Rig. Downsizing to a 3″ soft plastic works well in winter. Can be used beneath the boat or for fishing horizontally.
- 1 PERFORMANCE：The Punch Shot Rig iseffective for catching largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass, as well as other fish. The Punch Shot works great in shallow or deep grass, dragging along edges and points, and flipping into shallow cover such as stick-ups, dock pilings, walls, and more.
- 2 MATERIAL: Punch Shot Rig Fishing hooks are made of high carbon steel, with super sharp, durable and corrosion-resistant, whether fishing in freshwater or saltwater.
- 3 The fishing kit INCLUDES: 16 Punch Shot Rigs with 16 EWG Hooks (size 3/0). ( soft plastic bait not included)
- 4 HAPPY: If you are fishing on the weekend or using Punch Shot Rigs with your family, you will be full and happy!
- 5 WARRANTY!!! we are factory, Punch Shot Rigs has a 1-year warranty, If you have any problem, please contact with our customer service and we will reply you within 24 hours.
Hair Jigs. These imitate crawfish and small baitfish. The hairs pulsate and attract bass well in winter.
- GUARANTEED BITE --One of the most effective, long-lived jigs ever made for crappie panfis, enabling you to send a jig into the middle for an almost guaranteed bite.
- EASY TO USE --The jigs are also the simplest, weighing random form 1/8 1/16 1/32 ounces, it can be fished in a number of different ways, from vertical jigging to twitching underneath a bobber.
- FATAL QUIVER --The jig features a lead head, a thread body and a feather tail for subtle in-water action that creates just the right amount of vibration to trigger interest.
- APPLICATION--This marabou feather jig is a favorite of many crappie fishers or panfishs, great for for Perch Panfish Sunfish Bluegill Pike Trout Walleye.
- YOU WILL GET--20pcs random color painted jig heads come in a reusable plastic box, 1/32oz 1/16oz 1/8oz three sizes random delivery, so are the colors.
Football Hair Jig. These imitate a crawfish along the bottom.
Don’t be intimidated by winter bass fishing. And, don’t listen to anyone who tells you that it’s not worth the effort! Make sure you’re well prepared both physically and mentally, and you’re very likely to capitalize on smaller crowds.
What is your experience fishing for bass in winter?
Please leave a comment below to share with our community.