Best Spinning Reel: Helpful Tips and Reviews
We all know that a reel is the most essential fishing tackle. You might think that the whole thing is reeling in-out, but that is not true. The main and most important characteristic of a good spinning reel is, in effect, the drag system.
This revolutionary invention is able to tire out the fish and brings it some steps closer to your landing net. Keep in mind that you are not pulling out the fish due to your own power which you apply on the rod.
Undoubtedly, there are many reel types on the market and the question is: which reel should I choose? Logically, since you are interested in getting a reel, this is the first question that will cross your mind. All fishing reels are separated into many categories.
Today, we decided to talk about spinning reels due to the ubiquitous use of the spinning technique. Furthermore, we participate in fishing discussions and came to the conclusion that the majority of people have queries related to spinning reels.
For this reason we decided not only to give you some tips, but also present some of the top products of the spinning reel category. Our reviews derived from deep research and personal fishing experience.
Features of the Best Spinning Reel-How to choose the Best Spinning Reel
#1: High Max Drag
As we already mentioned, the most important part of any spinning reel are the brakes (drag system). If you have a reel with a durable drag system it means that you can land the fish easier. It is a necessity especially if the target fish are large and heavy.
Moreover, you will be able to load your spinning reel with thicker line in order to increase your fishing efficiency. Generally speaking, the brakes should have 1/3 durability concerning the strength of the line (braided or monofilament).
#2: Quality and Sealed Protection System
The spinning reel structure is very simple. The mechanism consists of a drive gear, washers, ball bearings and small gears. When you turn the handle, you actually give mechanic energy to the gearing system and that makes the spool rotate (kinetic energy).
Actually, it is the source of the power. Consequently, all these small parts should be made of durable materials. They must be able to fight with harsh conditions and really big fish. However, the most important thing here is that all this system must be protected.
Saltwater, time and the elements of the nature are enough to destroy the mechanism even if you take care of it. Thus, the only solution is a reel with a sealed system.
#3: Anti-Reverse System
Undoubtedly, it goes without saying that the best spinning reel should have an anti-reverse system. Reels with this system are able to release line without rotation of the handle. Since you are fishing for big fish, there is a high possibility that the fish can break the line.
Abrupt movements and strong strikes will not scare you if you choose a reel with anti-reverse.
#4: Braided Line? Is it suitable for my reel?
Nowadays, many people use braided fishing line instead of monofilament. Obviously, the use of braided increases the success level even if it is not elastic.
Unfortunately, most braided lines are not abrasion resistant and many fishermen complain that they are useless. Manufacturers took this to heart and started to look for solutions. Firstly, they improved the spool structure and pick up system.
Secondly, they made the material smoother in order to minimize abrasion damage.
#5: The right Gear Ratio for Spinning
Generally speaking, gear ratio shows the rotations of the spool when you do a full rotation with the handle. This factor affects the speed of your lure. Obviously, you will not need the same speed both for mahi-mahi (dolphinfish) and bass.
However, before you get a spinning reel, you should know which fish species you are going to pursue.
Here are 3 Amazon Bestselling Spinning Reels:
Reviews of the Best Spinning Reels- Top Choices all over the US and Worldwide
It goes without saying that we tested all the three reels. Our decision to include the following models in the “top 3 list” derives from experience, research and reliable sources.
Just to make things clear both key features and other features are important. However, we separated the reviews in that way, so you can recognize some features immediately.
First of all casting and retrieving is the main damage factor of all reels. However, some reels are able to withstand this and one of them is the Shimano Sedona. The Sedona Series comes in 6 sizes so you can choose according to the target fish.
The spool, rotor and body frame are crafted of high quality materials and it has many cutting edge technological advancements that we will explain below. After testing this specific reel series we can ensure you that it is worth to take a look at.
Rotor Balance: The Sedona Reel Series utilize the unique Dyna Balance Technology, developed by Shimano, which is able to maximize balance. Generally, it makes your fishing experience smoother and easier. A weight in the rotor regulates the balance like in cars.
Line Management: Once again Shimano tried to create the perfect best spinning reel because they know that the line can easily twist. The propulsion line management release line smoothly and protects it.
More Features and Specifications
Moreover, the spool is double-anodized which means that it is corrosion resistant. Even if you have the best spinning reel with super durable mechanism, saltwater is definitely your enemy. Equally important is the anti-reverse system if you are after big fish.
Undoubtedly, it is a top choice of many people because it has not only really good features, but also a lightweight body. Weight is an important factor and it can affect your spinning efficiency. As far as gear ratio is concerned, there are 5.2:1 and 5.0:1 options.
If you try to perform a full rotation of the handle, you will notice that the line retrieve is 24-33 inches. It is just perfect for a natural lure action and floatation.
· Great balance
· High max drag
· Good spool design and cut
· Could have more ball bearings
· High line capacity
Finally, we think that the Shimano Sedona is an excellent spinning reel selection. Despite the fact that it has not many ball bearings, we can assure you that the amount plays no important role. The weight and the performance will surprise you.
Five incredible models are here to play a significant role in your spinning fishing experience. Okuma inspired and continues to inspire thousands of anglers all over the world. The gearing system, the frame, the washers and all other parts are machine cut.
Emphasis should be laid on the fact that it is lightweight and that is the main reason why we included it.
Ball Bearings: Although the amount of ball bearings does not play an important role, this reel has 8 of them. The word “smooth” is enough to describe this feature.
Gearing System: The elliptical gearing system is unique and gives you a more balanced motion.
More Features and Specifications
There is no doubt that it is a good tool. Balance is the key to success and Okuma took care of it. RESII technology eliminates the wobble when you retrieve line. Additionally, it has a rigid body paired with an aluminum spool.
Aluminum is not only lightweight, but also durable. If you take a closer look at the specs you will see that it says 2 ton. Generally speaking, it means that it has two coatings-layers of aluminum. Okuma delivers all new technologies incorporated in one single spinning reel.
· Nice Cut
· Elliptical Oscillation System
· Low line capacity
· Not sealed spool (the design of the spool frame has multiple small holes)
The Ceymar reel is recognizable due to the large EVA knob on the handle. The point is that it has a very good gearing system. The gears, the pinion and the ball bearing are made of high materials and they are all machine computer cut.
Accuracy and durability are the reasons why the reel deserves a place as the best spinning reel.
Finally, if you want to invest in a really good spinning reel, we would like to suggest the Penn Slammer 3. You will never regret that you bought this reel. Whether you are a mad or new-fresh angler you probably know that you buy Penn only once.
Actually, this phrase does not abstain from the truth, because this company pays close attention to the materials, structure and modern fishing demands. Otto Henze founded Penn 85 years ago and it is still one of the top brands all over the world. The majority of the reels are “made in Usa” and they are all designed to serve the specific fishing requirements.
Needless to say, the Penn Slammer iii features unique technologies which you cannot find in other reels.
Sealed System? Check
High Max Drag and strong drag system? Check
Multiple Ball Bearings? Check
Cutting Edge Gearing Technology? Check
Anti-Skid Spool? Check
Dura Drag System:
What is a Dura Drag?
Please check the link above. In a few words it is a formula that protects the reel from abrasion especially if you have to fight a big fish.
What is IP Code?
This system makes the reel waterproof. It is like a protection rubber gasket that does not allow water to penetrate into the gearing system.
More Features and Specifications
Max drag 30-60 lbs. is enough to make you understand that it is designed to fight big fish. In addition, we would like to underline the fact that it is both monofilament and braided line compatible. The rings on the spool will inform you about how much line is left on the spool.
· Sealed system
· Excellent gearings system
· Sealed system
Summarizing this was the last best spinning reel of the roundup. Many people use it and all of them are happy with the results.
- 【SMOOTH PERFORMANCE】–The Ideal reel has a 10 + 1 ball bearings system that delivers maximum smoothness during retrieval.
- 【POWERFUL】– The premium carbon fiber drag system delivers a consistent and powerful drag and has a max drag of 20 lbs.
- 【STRONG & RELIABLE】– The stainless-steel main shaft provides an enduring performance that you can rely on and is corrosion resistant. The drag system is sealed to keep water and dirt out ensuring a continuously consistent drag. The aluminum handle adds additional strength to ensure a reliable fishing experience.
- 【ADDITIONAL VALUE 】– The Ideal spinning reel also comes with an aluminum braid ready spool that enables you to tie braid directly onto the spool without backing. An optimized spool lip design reduces line twists and wind knots to maximize casting distance. In addition, the rubber handle knobs are slip-resistant when wet.
- 【PERFORMANCE FOR LESS】- Cadence products offer high-performance premium features at an unbeatable value. Fishing with quality, dependable gear should not mean breaking the bank. Our experienced team works to prove that every day. All Cadence products come with a one-year warranty and a best-in-class customer service team to make your ownership experience as smooth as one of our reels.
- GOLD EAGLE EDITION – The new, dynamic KastKing Valiant Eagle Gold spinning reel is part of the KastKing series of Valiant Eagle spinning reels. This edition with sparkling gold trim salutes the Golden Eagle, one of the best-known birds of prey in the Northern Hemisphere. Like a Golden Eagle, the Valiant Eagle Gold edition reel is built for power and speed as a freshwater or saltwater spinning reel.
- LIGHT, FAST, STRONG - KastKing Valiant Eagle fishing reels convey speed, power, relentless pursuit and fearless spirit in the hunt. The Valiant Eagle Gold Edition honors the epic bird by providing an amazing fast speed 6.2:1 gear ratio, raptor inspired lightweight yet strong body with an enhanced graphite frame and rotor, and the incredible power of an exceptional 22 LB multi-disc carbon fiber drag.
- SOARING PERFORMANCE – The sealed carbon drag system provides 22 LB of fighting power and keeps your drag washers dry to avoid inconsistent drag operation. For consistent performance KastKing uses a total of 7+1 MaxiDur shielded stainless steel ball bearings for remarkably smooth cranking retrieves.
- UNEQUALED TECHNOLOGY - KastKing’s world class engineering team is dedicated to providing you with affordable innovation. KastKing has utilized their amazing patent-pending E.P.S. (Expanded Pinion System) and S.S.R. (Sliding Stabilizer Rod) into a spinning fishing reel priced under $100. Stabilizing the pinion gear and main gear increases the gear strength and durability.
- OUTSTANDING FEATURES – The KastKing Emerald Eagle fishing reel has a Patent Pending spool designed to increase casting distance and improve line control. Plus, its braid line-ready spool doesn’t need monofilament backing line before filling the reel with braided line to avoid slippage. The lightweight aluminum handle with EVA knob provides you with extra leverage and control. Fly like an eagle; a KastKing Valiant Eagle Gold spinning reel.
- GREAT VALUE - Loaded with features yet low on price. KastKing Summer/Centron offers the best value...at any level. The KastKing Summer Fishing Reel turns any angler into a PRO.
- LIGHTWEIGHT - narrow graphite frame design and computer balancing system combined with high performance in the compact Spinning Reel makes KastKing Summer/Centron an awesome gift for anybody who loves fishing.
- HIGH POWERED - KastKing Summer/Centron spinning reel's Superior Drag System offers incredible stopping power up to 17.5LBs. It has a hardened metal main shaft, perfect mesh drive gear and precision machined pinion gear for fish fighting power.
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE - Summer/Centron's nine quality ball bearings and one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing give it ultra-smooth performance.
- LOOKING GOOD - Summer/Centron's attractive, brilliant finish and its high strength two color anodized aluminum spool, with a power launch lip for farther casting, holds more line than competitor's models that sell for much more.
To sum up, spinning is a technique that gifts us fishermen with many unforgettable moments. Tension and suspense will keep your adrenaline levels high. Good mood paired with a good reel are two factors that will maximize the chances to land a big fish.
Hopefully, this article was helpful and do not forget to share it or leave a comment below. Thank you for reading.