Abu Garcia Orra Inshore Spinning Reel Review
After a week of on-the-water testing, we’ve determined that the Abu Garcia Orra Inshore Spinning Reel is a great option when it comes to mid-priced reels designed for saltwater fishing.
Bottom line for this reel is that it's another quality Abu Garcia product with many standard features you'd expect from a well-designed reel. In this article, I'll quickly review some of the upside and also give you the downside of this inshore spinning reel.
It’s compact, lightweight design, is destined to make it a favorite among inshore fishermen! Priced at around $100, it’s also a great bargain for those looking for a good quality reel without breaking the bank.
I think it's probably also a good quality starter/beginner reel because of its reliability and weight. This won't frustrate too many newbies.
Abu Garcia Orra Inshore Spinning Reel Review
Saltwater / Freshwater Spinning Reel
The thing that I like most about the Abu Garcia Orra is that for the price, you’re getting a reel that is comparable to other reels that sell for much more.
The Good Stuff:
- Reasonably priced
- Super light
- Saltwater resistant
- Smooth drag
- Casting distance
The Bad Stuff:
- Drag rating not 100% accurate
- Does not have t-handle
If you’re like me and make hundreds of casts with each trip on the water, then you know how important a lightweight reel can be. Both compact and light, the feels really good in your hands and can also withstand the harsh elements of saltwater conditions.
However, the thing that I like most about the Orra is that for the price, you’re getting a reel that is comparable to other reels that sell for much more. At this price point, the Orra is also one of the smoothest spinning reels on the market.
Abu Garcia Orra Reel Features
- 8 stainless steel bearings + one roller bearing
- The IM-C6™ (Insert molded C6) body design combines an X- craftic™ gearbox design with a C6 carbon body, which gives a lightweight construction that houses gears in perfect alignment
- Rocket line management™ system provides better control of all types of fishing lines
- Rocket spool lip design™ allows better control of line coming off the spool, which equals longer casting distances
- Machined aluminum braid ready spool allows braid to be tied directly to the spool without any slip
- Carbon Matrix™ drag system equals a smooth, consistent drag pressure across the entire drag range
- Stainless steel main shaft and components for improved corrosion resistance
- Flat EVA knob provide greater comfort and prevents slippage
Other things that we liked about the Abu Garcia Orra:
- Compact and Lightweight. Weighing in at only 9 oz, the Orra has a carbon body with an aluminum gear box. These give you the benefits of a super compact, lightweight, fishing reel that will not wear you hands out after a long day of casting lures.
- Rocket Line Management Spool. This trademark spool system by Abu Garcia controls how your line comes off and on the spool. This means about a 5% increase in casting distances from previous models and for those of you who use braided line, it means a 50% decrease in wind knots. This is achieved by the line being placed evenly back on the spool after each cast. The spool is also braid ready, so no monofilament backing is needed.
- HPCR High Performance Bearings. It features 8+1 stainless steel, high performance, corrosion resistant ball bearings specifically designed to withstand the harsh elements of saltwater fishing. They also provide for an extremely smooth, almost effortless retrieval.
- Stainless Steel Components. All of the components on the Abu Garcia Orra are stainless steel, including the extra thick bail wire, making it virtually indestructible.
- Available in 4 different Sizes. The Orra comes in several different sizes, including a 30, 40, 50, and 60 model. This gives you plenty of flexibility when selecting a reel that’s right for you. You can opt for the 30 if you’re targeting trout and redfish, or go for the 60 if you plan on battling trophy sized snook and tarpon.
- IM-C6 (Insert Molded) Gear Box Design. Abu Garcia has taken their one-piece aluminum gear box system and shrunk it down, which keeps the gears in perfect alignment, making for an exceptionally smooth reel. This, along with their insert molded carbon material that they incorporate around the gearbox, equal a super strong, compact fishing reel.
Who is This Reel For
This reel is a perfect for newbies and weekend warriors alike who want the features of a $200 dollar spinning reel, but don’t want to break the bank in order to get one.
It’s also a great alternative for experienced fishermen looking for a good quality reel, but just can’t bring themselves to spending hundreds of dollars on a more expensive spinning reel.